Melodramatic Fool

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Back in Crazy Town

More than two weeks have passed since I got back from a much deserved vacation and I still unapologetically take account of things that make this country suck. I cannot help but be taken aback by how our country has lagged behind its Asian neighbors. The first thing I noticed of course is how ridiculously tiny our airports are compared to Hong Kong's grand and modern Chek Lap Kok Airport in Lantau. Landing on the runway was a much better experience compared to my previous trip in 1998 at Kai Tak Airport. That was terrifying because from the aircraft window it seemed like the plane was gonna crash on some homes in Kowloon. At Chek Lap Kok Airport, dubbed as one of the busiest airports in the world, one could really feel the excitement aound the bustling terminal. It was just enough to quicken the pulse but not too much as to induce stress or create chaos. Comparing this to the Centennial terminal at NAIA, ours definitely pale in comparison.

I also took note of the efficient transport systems of the MTR plying as well as connecting the islands. The trains arrive on time and despite the sheer volume of commuters, it was unusual to feel cramped since the coaches can more than accommodate the bulk of passengers. Its so unlike the MRT whizing through Edsa that usually takes 5 minutes in between trains and where pushing and shoving is the norm. Back in Manila, I experienced riding on a Friday during rush hour and I couldn't even get to the door. The coach was sooo crowded I could barely move. And to make matters worse, my bag kept getting caught on other people's clothes, baggages or body parts that inching to the exit was almost impossible. And that's not the worst part, the weather was so humid that everyone was reeking of sweat. I was hyperventilating as the obnoxious odors waft to my now flared nostrils.

Surprisingly, even traffic in HongKong was manageable despite the narrow streets, ubiquitous pedestrians and humongous busses. Somehow the entire system works. Traffic was minimal and save for the humid July weather, it was quite pleasant to just trek to one's destination sans the fear of your cellphone being snached or a mugger pointing a knife to your throat. Although I do not have grand delusions that the city was crime free, I definitely felt safer there than strutting the streets of Metro Manila. Law enforcers were also very visible and most if not all were fluent in English so asking for directions or assistance was relatively easy.

Shopping around was almost stress free (except at the night market where vendors have no qualms about grabbing your arms and harrasing you just to make a sale) since sales ladies do not hound you or deprive you of breathing space. Unlike in Manila where they feel the need to follow you around watching your every move as if you were a potential criminal. I was in this relatively huge cosmetics store where countless small items were up for grabs. One could easily have pocketed a few stuff wihout anyone noticing but the sales people weren't bothered. They just let you free to choose what you like with much trust that you are honest enough to pay for it. I have no idea how many shoplifters abound in HK and I'm sure there are some, but I do like the carefree attitude towards consumers. Although I cannot blame shopkeepers back home for protecting their precious merchandise for god knows how much of it is stolen in a blink of an eye. It just saddens me that this is a reality faced by many shops in my country.

Another marked observation is the mere pace of life. One can really feel the importance of time in a Hong Kong resident's life. It was reflected by the efficiency of the buses and trains, the speed of the escalators and travellators, and even the sheer urgency in each step of a regular pedestrian. Flat shoes seems to be a must if one is to survive this urban landscape. Locals just walk everywhere which probably explains why most of them are in good shape. Also, people do not loiter at the malls, save for the regular tourists. I do not know if I can easily adjust to a such fast-paced lifestyle since even a few meters of mimicking the way they walk already left me breathless, but I do admire them for their drive and sense of purpose. For not only do my countrymen walk a lot slower, most are unempoyed who spend time downing some good ol' San Miguel Beer or the more potent Ginebra Gin while their wives go their merry way, gossiping about neighbors or the latest showbiz tidbits.

I know locals in Hong Kong and Manila face different challenges and opportunities, experience different catalysts for development, and have different attitudes toward hardwork. I guess it ain't right to compare apples with oranges. I just feel quite frustrated for I do have big dreams for my country... and I cannot help but envy those nations that seem to have somehow improved the lives of its citizens and have allowed its countrymen to their share in the pie of success and prosperity. But I guess happiness, or at least contentment, is relative. We did land 17th place in the World's Happiest People list. Who knows how happy people in Hong Kong really are. Well, one thing is for sure... I'm back in crazy town. It definitely ain't for the faint hearted.






1 Comments:

Blogger hotheadchick said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home